Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sojourn- our new church home : )

Since moving to college my freshman year and when Cam did the same his freshman year (both of us to Bolivar) neither of us really ever settled into a church home becuase of the unique church situation that used to loom over Bolivar. Then, moving back to good ol' Kansas City to live with my parents for a semester was great but I went back to a church that I was disconnected from and honestly, I only went to because my family went there.

All that to say...Camden and I were very excited to move to Louisville and get to choose a church home together, somewhere where we could get involved, be challenged, and form community with other believers.

The Lord has blessed us beyond measure with our new church, Sojourn Community Church! This was the second church we visited once we got here and we never visited anywhere else. It was exactly what we were looking for. It is an "Acts 29" church...to check them out click here. They are also a Southern Baptist Church but when you walk in and experience a service, you'd never guess it.

Interesting things we love about Sojourn:
-The lobby of our church is an art gallery; art shows are held there so they can invite the community.
-there's no "sunday school"...there are "community groups" that gather in homes once a week according to neighborhood.
-Due to being an Acts 29 church, they very much believe in church planting...so they are constantly branching off into new churches so that we can reach all parts of the Louisville and Southern Indiana area.
-the music they use for worship on sunday is mostly written by Sojourners. They also record their music so that members can listen and worship to that music on their own time. We love good music...these people are talented and are using their gifts for the Lord.
-most importantly: they straight up preach the GOSPEL. I've never heard the gospel preached like it is here. It has awakened in us a new and fresh love for the gospel!

I am currently getting involved with children's ministry- singing, teaching, and helping with curriculum (glad the Lord is giving me an outlet to use the "teacher" within me : )
Camden is getting plugged into the connect ministry...helping the church make connections with visitors and people who are new to the Sojourn body, answering any questions they have and meeting with new people.

We're so thankful for this body of believers and how the Lord has led us here! We have a definite interest in church planting and are excited about learning more about it from and through Sojourn which does it well and is a church plant itself!

Mal & Cam

PS...told you I would be better about posting : )

3 comments:

  1. :) That's awesome Mal! Makes me even more excited about the prospect of Asa and I living in Lville next summer... we'd have a place to plug in to for a bit! :) Glad to hear things are going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to hear about the job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it...I'm moving to Louisville!

    ReplyDelete